ENVIRONMENT – ECONOMY – WELLNESS
No time in history has humanity been as hard-pressed to take ACTION NOW…not only to repair our eco-systems but ourselves as well. This year, 2022 heralds more active global conflicts than at any time since 1945.
A dilemma that cannot be ignored.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER – NOBODY IS IMMUNE
The 10 most critical problems in the world – what we care about:
- Oceans and the Law of the Sea
- Climate change / destruction of nature, global warming (48.8%)
- Large scale conflict / wars / economic downturns (38.9%)
- Inequality (income, discrimination) (30.8%). Poverty (29.2%). Lack of economic opportunity and unemployment (12.1%). Lack of education (15.9%)
- The Pandemic / depression
- Government accountability and transparency / corruption (22.7%)
- Food, food waste and water security (18.2%)
- Safety / security / well being / addiction / longevity (14.1%)
- Responsible construction / development.
We are causing CLIMATE CHANGE– by burning fossil fuels that release polluting greenhouse gases into the air. The planet has already warmed an average of 1.1 degrees Celsius compared to the preindustrial era, with devastating impact across the globe in the form of untenable heat, unseasonable floodings, horrific droughts, erosion, dead reef systems, unhealthy air, and more. And the science is unmistakable and worsening.
Our climate, what we eat, our wellness and happiness all go hand-in-hand. Today’s environment (above and below sea level) is making us unwell; if we are unwell, we have minimal quality of life, and without quality of life, how can we positively impact ourselves, our communities, our environments?
Because climate crisis is understood, we’ve isolated what individuals and companies can do about it. For example, we need to eliminate the use of fossil fuels and rapidly diffuse carbon dioxide emissions out of every single industry. Hospitality, Traveling, Manufacturing, Agriculture. Construction. Energy. Finance, Transportation, Dining, Retail. You name it.
Kudos to those who are taking action and applaud hotels, governments, medical science, tech companies and even individuals are manically researching and adopting new protocals, technologies, behaviors, products and programs to battle the climate crisis. In many parts of the world, for example, building new, big solar and wind plants are less costly than using existing coal and gas-fired power, according to a 2021 BloombergNEF analysis. Heat pumps are gaining in popularity as an inexpensive method to climate control your home or hotel. At last, electric auto and bike sales are outpacing public charging stations availability to power them. A start – but not enough.
Dealing with a multi-pronged crisis. Are you asking
yourself, ‘what can I do ? Surely, one person cannot affect
change’. Au contraire!
DOING YOUR PART
WHO – individuals / community initiatives / hotels / manufacturing / governments / associations
WHAT – educate yourself about our ten most pressing global crisis’ and their solutions
WHEN – what are you waiting for?
HOW – Join a ‘betterment’ organization
International Organizations and Agencies
- GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL FACILITY http://www.thegef.org/
GEF has provided $13.5 billion in grants and leveraged $65 billion in co-financing for 3,900 projects in more than 165 developing countries, to address global environmental issues.
- ORGANISATION FOR ECONOMIC CO-OPERATION AND DEVELOPMENT’S (OECD). CHEMICAL SAFETY https://www.oecd.org/env/ehs/organisationoftheenvironmenthealthandsafetyprogramme.htm
This program works on the development and co-ordination of environment health and safety activities internationally. Includes many publications.
- UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME https://www.unep.org/
UNEP is involved in all manner of environmental issues, such as sustainable consumption, climate change, chemicals, and more. Their site includes databases, publications, and descriptions of their many initiatives.
- WHO Public Health and Environment https://www.who.int/health-topics/environmental-health#tab=tab_1
Descriptions and information about specific aspects of environmental health are available, such as environmental burden of disease, ionizing radiation, food safety, occupational health, electro-magnetic fields, and children’s environmental health. Numerous documents and publications are available online.
- WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE https://www.wri.org/
Provides authoritative research and engages a broad spectrum of stakeholders in decision-making to make permanent changes that protect the planet and improve people’s lives.
- THE SUSTAINABLE SPA ASSOCIATION – https://sustainablespas.org/
The Sustainable Spa Association is a global network of leading spas, spa and wellness suppliers and sustainability leaders, dedicated to making positive change within the spa industry; through education, support and accreditation.
- LONGEVITY INTERNATIONAL – https://www.longevityinternational.org/
- GREEN SEAL- https://greenseal.org/splash/
A nonprofit organization that uses science-based programs to empower consumers, purchasers, and companies to create a more sustainable world. Green Seal Certification is a rigorous process that includes annual compliance monitoring and a commitment to continuous improvement.
- FUTUREplus – https://www.future-plus.co.uk/
FuturePlus is an innovative platform that provides a benchmark sustainability score for where you are now and provides the roadmap and a quantifiable measure of where you want to be in the next three years. A simple way to measure, manage and report your sustainable growth to employees and stakeholders in real-time.